sábado, 15 de septiembre de 2012

Breathtaking Ending

In the culminating portion of The Burn Journals, Brent’s attitude seems to change once again into a more hopeful and enthusiastic one. Although the diction used in Brent’s thoughts towards other people is harsh and wrathful, when he is reflecting upon his future, he feels like it is possible to go back to normality. Runyon’s word choice allows the reader to see Brent’s gradual mental recuperation from the incident. For example, when Brent reflects, “Okay, so I can use my hands, arms, and legs. I can think. I can walk. I can talk. I’m fifteen. I’m alive. Life’s pretty good” (p. 292). In this quote, one can see how Brent has started to reflect upon the good things he has and of the results of all his hard work, instead of only thinking about the negative aspects of his life. Although Brent has certainly not fully recovered, he is taking little steps on his own for a faster improvement. On one hand, I think it might be the fact that he has learned how to live in hospitals and deal with doctors/psychologists. This has made him more resistant to their continual direct interrogations, which previously had diminished his self-esteem and made him feel inferior. On the other hand, I believe that Brent’s reintegration to his normal life is a process that his parents have done very successfully. By not making him go back to Marshall High School directly after Children’s Hospital and having hired a home tutor to give him classes, Brent has gradually regained his regular routine without exposing him too much to the outside world.
The ending of the book leaves the reader with a lot to imagine about Brent’s immediate future. During the last section of the book, all the events were leading to Brent’s return to school. I expected the end to be the description of Brent’s entrance to the school, including his first day in it. This was not the case. The book culminates with the same image Brent draws after he sees his brother drawing. He states, “Jesus, the bus is stopped. I’ve got to get off the bus. I’m getting off. I’m walking up the steps. I’m opening the door. I’m standing in the doorway” (p. 319). The short sentences make this ending moment very exciting and breathtaking. The reader wants to know how Brent’s first day of school is. However, it is up to his imagination to picture this day, since the story ends in that moment. Runyon depicts Brent’s anxiousness throughout the ending of the book. Although he is very worried about going back to school, I believe that he is also excited about returning to his regular life, as it was before the horrible event took place. How will Brent manage to deal with the imminent comments that he will get upon his return to school? Will he be able to overcome them? My prediction is that Brent will have a very difficult adaptation in school and it will take some time for him to get used to Marshall High School. Nevertheless, in the end, Brent will go back to be the teenager he was before and although he will not forget about the incident, he will get emotionally stronger and demonstrate that he is able to strive for success.
 
 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario